April 2, 2017

A Fragile Hope



This is the second book I’ve read by Cynthia Ruchti, and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite Christian Fiction authors. I love her writer’s voice, her ability to suck me in within the first page or two and grab my heart and not let go.

Instead, his automation system had sent a preprogrammed text to his reader fans with his “Marriage Moments” wisdom of the day. Mister Irony. “The path to your happiness,” she read on the screen, “lies in paying attention to your spouse’s heartbeat. ~Excerpt

A Fragile Hope is a touching and soul-piercing read. It’s far from a mainstream love story. The couple in this book is married. I really like this aspect, for I rarely find fiction that focuses on this level of relationships. And let’s talk about emotional! Wow. I was pulled through a gambit of emotions from beginning to end.

The phone in her coat pocket played a familiar two-toned alert. Only an insane person would stop her current mission to look. So she did. ~Excerpt

Though the first chapter begins from Karin’s point of view, the majority of the story is told from the eyes and heart of her husband, Josiah. Through his trials, faults, hurts, and insight, he showed me a bit of myself. There were times I wanted to shake some sense into him, moments I yearned to hug him, but through it all I battled alongside him as he struggled along.

I love that each of Ms. Ruchti’s stories are “hemmed in hope.” Without hope, we have nothing. The Lord is our hope, and in Him we always have something to cling to.

Josiah made a living off his creative imagination. Tonight it was not his friend. What-ifs stung him like fire ants. Sting, pain, itch. ~Excerpt

This beautifully and skillfully told story deals with acceptance, perseverance, and hope. I’m sad the story has ended, for Josiah, Karin, Stan, and many other characters are now my friends and I’ll miss them terribly.

5 Stars!


Cover: Love
Title: Love
Pages: 320
Publisher: Abingdon Press
ISBN: 978-1426791505
First Line: She punched the blender’s Off button hard enough to rock the unit.

I received a complimentary copy of this book and was under no obligation to post a review.