April 3, 2017

The Reckless Way of Love


I admire unique people who have such a love for God and humanity that they fully devote their lives to helping others. Throughout her life, Dorothy Day, an American journalist and social activist, served the downtrodden and unfortunate.

“If you have two coats, you have stolen one from the poor.” ~Quote from the introduction.

Despite being seen as an extremist, or radical, her writings show a gentle and personal look at her inner self, including her weaknesses and doubts. I learned a lot about Ms. Day from reading this little paperback book. It made her more human to me. By revealing her doubts, fears, grief, etc. she gives examples of how she was encouraged by God’s promises, and in fully believing that God’s grace is sufficient. When we persevere through the difficult times in life, we grow and gain understanding and compassion for others. And by doing for others, we do for Him.

Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. ~Matthew 25:40

On the back cover, The Reckless Way of Love is described as a guidebook. Very fitting. Ms. Day’s heart is transparent, her wording is simple, and her core message is clear—“…the only solution is love and that love comes with community.”

I’m inspired by these meditations, and encouraged to be more selfless. That’s pretty impressive for a little guidebook.


4 Stars


Cover: Okay
Title: Like
Pages: 149
Publisher: Plough Publishing
ISBN: 978-0874867923
First Line (Chapter One): I remember the first radio I had in the early twenties, constructed for me by Willy Green, a twelve-year-old, out of a cigar box, a crystal, a bit of wire, an aerial, and earphones.