May 26, 2017

My Heart Belongs on Mackinac Island: Maude's Mooring


My Heart Belongs on Mackinac Island: Maude’s Mooring is another book in the My Heart Belongs series. I’ve read several in this series, and I’ve enjoyed each one. Each book works as a standalone, a fast read, full of twists, and a satisfying read.

This story takes place in Mackinac Island, Michigan in the late 1800s. The author paints a lovely scene and made me want to visit.

The characters are interesting, though I find some things from the late 1800s so frustrating. Not in the writing sense, but in the way women were treated in general. Lol Example: Maude’s father won’t allow her to run the family inn without a husband helping her, so she must prove herself able to be independent. Creates a nice backdrop for this story.

One thing that kind of surprised me (not in a great way) was how quickly Maude’s relationship happens. I wish there was more of a build up. Other than that aspect, the story was enjoyable.


4 Stars

Cover: Okay
Title: Like
Pages: 256
Publisher: Barbour Books
First Lines: Maude Welling’s twelve-year-old brother, Jack, raced across the waxed wood floor of the soda shop, straight toward her, then skidded to a halt.
I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley.