May 4, 2017

The Chapel Car Bride


The Chapel Car Bride is a sweet, clean, Christian historical that takes place in the early 1900s. Prior to this book, I’d never heard of a chapel car ministry, so I found this premise especially interesting.

The authentic ‘old-timey’ feel this story emits quickly drew me in. The descriptions are clear but not overly done, and I was able to visualize and sense the atmosphere of the time period.

Her heart pulsed a beat that resounded in her ears. She tamped down her fear and glanced over her shoulder. There was no one in sight. She sighed in relief as she stepped forward. Likely she’d heard nothing more than some birds nesting in the trees. ~excerpt

Hope Irvine is a kind and innocent young woman, which I found mostly admirable, but somewhat saccharine-ish at times. I wish she had stronger weaknesses, something that gnawed at her, or something she fought against so that she’d be easier to sympathize with.

He simply assumed the preacher was her husband. Embarrassment seized him, but was quickly replaced by a sense of unexpected exhilaration. This lovely young woman wasn’t married—wasn’t even betrothed. At least he didn’t think she was. There he went again, jumping to conclusions. ~excerpt

Overall, I love the premise of this book, and found ministering from a chapel car an exciting and inspiring aspect in this story (and in history.) The romance is wholesome, and this is an entertaining read. I only wish the pacing was faster and the characters were a bit more flawed.


3.5 Stars

Cover: Like
Title: Like
Pages: 352
Publisher: Bethany House
ISBN: 978-0764219054
First Line: Hope Irvine clutched a handful of leaflets and picked her way toward the rear of the swaying train.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House and NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a comment lover!